Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My Last Meal!

By this time tomorrow, Baby Aubrey will have made her entrance into the world and into our lives (and arms and out of my belly - whew -relief!). Since I'm having a repeat c-section, I can't eat after midnight tonight. Although I complain about it, it shouldn't be too bad since I'm scheduled at 7:30am. For my last meal, I was going to make this Easy Pumpkin Soup that many of you have asked for the recipe. It is so good any time of year; but especially in the fall. I say 'was' because by the time I got in there to make it, I didn't feel like standing anymore, so we heated leftovers. Anyways, break out the pumpkin, canned that is, and treat yourself to this yummy soup.

Easy Pumpkin Soup
1/2 cup onion - chopped
3 T butter
2 C canned pumpkin (I think 2 cans actually makes it creamier)
1 t salt
1 T sugar
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground pepper
3 C chicken broth
1/2 c half and half
Optional - kernel corn (white or yellow - I use frozen)

Chop onions and gently brown in butter in stockpot. Stir in mashed pumpkin and add salt, sugar, nutmeg and pepper. Slowly add chicken broth & heat thoroughly; but do not boil. To serve, pour into soup tureen (or individual bowls) and add the cream on top. You could do it somewhat artistically for presentation if you want! Makes 4-6 medium servings.

It's really good served with some kind of artisan bread or parmesan toasts!

Since it's pumpkin season, I had the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks today too - YUM! You have to try it:)

2 comments:

Shannon, EJ, Gabe and Hannah said...

Good Luck tomorrow!!

marie said...

YUM - I will totally try that soup! WELCOME, AUBREY!!!!