Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Is it Hurricane Season or something?!

Well, we were supposed to go to Pensacola for Labor Day weekend; but Gustav has us thinking twice. If it comes here, we'll need to prepare. If it goes to Pensacola or close to their west, my parents will have to prepare. So, we're staying put after all. Which is a bummer because this was supposed to be our annual Labor Day with my family. But even more than that, it's a bummer because somewhere, someone else is going to be affected by another tropical system. Living in Florida all my life, you get used to the threat of storms; but the devastation that some experience (thankfully never me) is something you never get used to. We got dumped on this past weekend by Tropical Storm Fay more than we've ever been by any other storm in the 14 years I've lived in Tallahassee. My in-laws house is flooded, my friends have a river for a street right now, and Lake Ella spilled into Monroe Street - crazy!



You can see more images of Lake Ella here. We got over 20" of rain! So, of course those affected most by the flooding can't stand to have more. Pensacola just finished the new I-10 bridge which replaced the old one that was ripped apart by Ivan 4 years ago. And we all know New Orleans is still reeling from Katrina. It was three years ago that we were waiting the arrival of Ellie and wondering if hurricanes were going to hit us. Now we're waiting the arrival of Aubrey and wondering the same thing. We know our God will take care of all of us; but it's still a little nerve-racking!

0 comments: