Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's a Jungle Out There...err, in here!

With all the rain we've gotten recently, the 'wild' things that love damp climates and woodsy habitats have been out in abundance at our house. So much so that they're looking for a new place to live - in our house! Here are three such animals I saw just today:



A Blue-Tailed Skink (in the house), an American Green Tree Frog (in the house), and a Luna Moth (fortunately on the outside of the sliding glass door)

Fortunately I am not really afraid of any of these creatures since I had to catch and send them back outside - although I have been known to climb whatever I can to get away from other creepy-crawlies. Actually the skink is still inside because as you know, they move lightning-fast - which means I'll probably find it belly-side up sometime in the next week - great! The moth looked like a bird flying by and fortunately stopped so I could marvel at how huge it was. Apparently these Luna Moths don't have mouths and don't eat. They are alive for one week just to mate and that's it! I guess this is Cicada season also, because I've seen -err, heard - plenty of them flapping their wings on my sliding glass door this week. Let me tell ya - you'd think a bird hit the door they're so loud! The poor dogs just don't know what do to with their wild kingdom in the back yard - hopefully they won't think any of them smell appetizing!

2 comments:

The Nuzzo Family said...

Julie, this skink is what Moses ate when we had all those vet bills and a near death a month back. Don't let Ellie eat it-haha.

Julie Wolfe said...

I figured that might have been it. I just don't want the dogs to catch it! I've had episodes with Max before - not fun!