Sunday, July 6, 2008

Summer Projects

I've been busy lately doing a few projects around the house. There's a whole other list that I'll begin working on soon that's all centered on Baby Aubrey's arrival; but these are not part of that mile-long list! My mom will be happy to see that I've finally done something with that fabric I bought while shopping with her back in November! I made valances for the kitchen and dining room and plan to make some pillows as well. The curtains hanging in the dining room were ones we already had and complimented the fabric very well. If you haven't seen my dining room, it's definitely been a work in progress over the time that we've lived here. It's finally come together this year with a hutch, beautiful black chairs from Wood-U that my brother painted and a black iron chandelier with champagne shades. We just need to add a chair rail and paint the bottom tan and we'll be done!


I've been growing herbs in my kitchen window sill since Brian got me these cute little chalkboard painted planters from Pottery Barn for Christmas last year. You can kind of see them in the kitchen picture above, although they're empty because I need to plant more. And this is why:

The little planters are only good for starting seed and then you need to move them to bigger planters to mature. So, Ellie and I did some painting - I did the letters and tried my best to just let her do the rest! I got the idea to let Ellie paint pots from her friend, Mary Kate's, mom and thought it would be perfect for my hopefully flourishing herb garden! So far I've got Basil, Lavender and Oregano. Next to seed: Thyme, Rosemary, Dill, Cilantro, Chives and Fennel.

Finally, we've got quite a few birthday parties in one week, which means we've got to keep the cost low; but the present thoughtful. So, I thought I'd make (or decorate) canvas bags for all four girls - thank goodness there's no boys or that would throw a kink in the plan! Ellie got one for her birthday last year and we've used it to carry her books, toys, etc. whenever she comes to my office, we go to the doctor or wherever. I love passing down good gift ideas, so here's what I did. Hope they like them and get as much use out of them as we have!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the valances in the kitchen and dining room. You did a great job! Maybe you can share your talents and teach me to make curtains for my house :).

Julie Wolfe said...

I would love to although Rachel might be a better teacher!