Friday, June 13, 2008

Do You Have a Banana Bread Recipe?

I do now! I don't know about you; but every woman has to have a tried and true banana bread recipe and now I do. I don't know if there is one in my family; but it's never been passed down to me if so! The recipe below produced the most moist (is that how you say that) banana bread I've ever had. I omitted the nuts because I don't always like nuts in my bread and added golden raisins. For those ladies who have been in my small group for the last year and a half, you've got this recipe in the Feeding the Flock cookbook that Mama Marilyn gave us - thanks Mama!

Ingredients:
1 c white sugar 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c brown sugar 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c oil (not olive) Dash salt
2 eggs 1 1/2 c ripe bananas (3 large, mashed)
4 Tbsp sour cream 1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda 1 c chopped pecans (optional - I substituted golden raisins)
1 Tbsp vinegar

In a large bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients. Combine soda and vinegar, then add sour cream. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter. Work fast now! Add the mashed bananas, vanilla and nuts. Pour into a greased and floured bread pan or an 8x8x2 pan or 2 medium bread pans or 4 small loaf pans (how's that for selection!). Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes - my oven took longer so I covered it with foil so the top wouldn't burn while continuing to cook on the inside. Test the middle of the bread with a toothpick to see if done. Once done, let cook in pan on a wire rack for 10-20 minutes, then turn over and let it fall out.

Mmm...so good!

PS - let's all say a prayer for all those poor people fleeing and losing their homes in Iowa and other midwestern states due to the flooding. How desperate they must feel!

0 comments: