Friday, December 19, 2008

So this is Christmas...

I'm beginning to learn what it's like to 'put on' Christmas for your family or children even when you may be too tired to feel like it. I love Christmas; but it's always been stressful for me to try to make it all happen. To get the gift that each person wants, to decorate just right, make the best food ever, pick out the perfect card, etc. It's easy to get wrapped up in all of that and forget about the true meaning of Christmas - Christ's birth - which has absolutely nothing to do with all of the glitz we've grown accustomed to. It's also easy to emphasize the other, more commercialized part of Christmas - you know...Santa - when you've got small children who see it everywhere and you want them to be excited about Santa; but not at Christ's expense. I have found it especially difficult this year to find little moments to teach Ellie the Christmas story (probably because of her new little sister). I think I've taken for granted that she learns it in school and church. HELLO...I'm already letting them do the teaching for me - how awful! Some years are exceptions, so I'm giving us grace (something I'm not good at but am learning to be better about). I really want to establish traditions of doing the advent candles and reading a different part of the Christmas story every night and maybe even acting it out and listening to all the spiritual Christmas songs instead of the mainstream ones on the radio. I really do want to enjoy it all and not be so stressed out that I can't wait until it's over. Is this what it feels like to be a mom and want to make sure everyone's happy and taken care of and has a perfect Christmas? I think a perfect Christmas is probably not fathomable, so I'll just find joy in imperfection and in seeing my sweet little three-year old's face light up - and my husband's too - just because Mommy is happy and having fun. It's not here yet - I've still got a few days left. I'll reflect on the joy and miracle of Christmas this year like never before.


Merry Christmas!

1 comments:

Frugal Coupon Mom - frugalcouponmom@gmail.com said...

so right!
ps your about me says baby #2 is on the way